MOSE may be working from June 30

Venice flood barriers initially due to start operating next yr

(ANSA) - Venice, January 22 - Venice's new MOSE flood barriers may be working from June 30, the Consorzio Venezia Nuova consortium that made and will operate the innovative and controversial system said Wednesday.
    It may be raised in the event of tides above 140 cm, the body said.
    The dikes, which have spurred corruption and price overrun scandals, were initially expected to start working next year.
    Venice was devastated in November by an exceptional 187 cm acqua alta, which revived a row about MOSE coming in so far over time.
   

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA